2.12.2010

the power of a decimal.

This week went down in history as the worst week I have ever had in research lab.  For those of you who read my previous blog, it happened again.  This time it wasn't completely my fault.  For those of you who didn't read it, I screwed up making my protein and had to throw it all down the drain.  And had to as well yesterday.

This post won't be very long, but it goes to show you that the little dots you put in your numbers REALLY make a difference. a big one.

In order to make my protein, I have to add this chemical.  I'll leave it at that.  The previous post-doc I was working with ( I won't name names) told me how to add this chemical to make my protein.  Here's what he told me:

need 3 mM of the chemical, (239.39 x 0.03 x 500)/ (1000)= 4.4 g

okay, so I added 4.4g.  BUT, when my expression didn't work yesterday, I decided to look over his work.  Some of you may have noticed, but 3 mM= 0.003 M NOT 0.03 M.

one decimal point.

I should have been adding 0.44 g, not 4.4g.

Still reeling over this and pretty angry.  Yesterday was not a good day. This week was not a good week. Too much wasting time that I don't have.  Oh well... there could be worse things.  I'll be back to the grind next week to do it again.

The one thing that salvaged my day yesterday was a good ole' romantic comedy.  works every time.

3 comments:

  1. i miss having someone around me who is good at science and math. and even though you think you royally messed up, you are smarter than me in all of that by 4.4 g X a JILLLLLION. (i know, real scientific of me)
    please don't cry over spilled proteins, because you are going to ROCK your thesis. i know it. because you always do.
    want me to leave one more corny message? i am done with the 500 days of winter that kc has... please let it be summa summa time!

    loveyoumissyouseeyousoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i knew you would like that stupid movie.

    oh and quit with the math/medical/scientific stuff. its a real snoozer for those of us who dont speak smartness. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha that movie was great and you know it.

    and maybe you should learn to speak smartness? k?

    ReplyDelete