2.10.2010

good night, moon...


So I'll start this post off on a good note... this guy has better hair than most of the people I know:


Now out of all of these llama pictures, have you all noticed a common theme? How JANKETY their teeth are? They all have teeth sticking out in all KINDS of directions. I wonder what the biological benefits are to that... surely they don't help them chew. and isn't that the only thing llamas do? chew stuff?  From my experience, bottom teeth are essential... when they're actually in your mouth.  

So today I received my official letter of acceptance to OSU's (oklahoma state) osteopathic school of medicine.  It's a wonderful feeling to know you have choices, but part of me feels really bad about it all.  I put on a smile for all my interviews and told them that I wanted to attend THAT school... so they honor me with a spot in their class of 2014. But then the next day I give them back their acceptance letter with the box marked, I do not accept?  It's like I'm saying "I was just kidding... I don't want to go to your school... thanks anyway".  I know it's all part of the process, but it's hard to turn something down so great that was such an honor to receive.  I'll probably wait till the absolute last day it's due to send it back to them... which is next week.

yeah I know, I worry too much.

Well on a lighter note... I completely screwed up in lab this week.  BIG time. I'll give you the short story:  in my lab, I make two different proteins.  One is a mutant of the other, so they are very very similar.  The experiments I do in lab rely on their very simple differences... which there is only one.  Well this week in lab, I was making both proteins at once.  I make them in chemistry flasks, cover the tops with foil, then label the foil with which protein is in the flask.  On Tuesday, I pulled a really smart move and took all of the foil off the tops and haphazardly tossed them on the counter so I could inoculate all the flasks with an antibiotic.  What does that mean? I had no clue which protein was in which flask... had to throw it all out.  thousands of dollars worth of protein and two full days of work down the drain.  There was no attempt to salvage it and try to remember which was which, because with only having one month left of thesis research, I don't have the time to get odd results from my experiments and realize it's because of the mixed up flasks.  So... today and tomorrow consisted of and will consist of me re- doing it all.  Like I said, I royally screwed up in lab.

For my fellow cooks, I thought I would share some very yummy, simple, cheap, and healthy meals I had this week:
1) whole wheat pasta with pesto sauce: at the grocery store, there is usually a spot with a bunch of pre-prepared sauce mixes...like dried spices and flavorings (mcCormick's usually).  In this section is a pesto- sauce packet.  buy it.  heck, buy 3.  Add it to whole wheat pasta and you have a very delicious meal.  If you like artichokes, add them too.  oh, and chicken.  both are optional, but scrumptious.

2) Curry chicken: buy a jar of Patak's Rogan Josh curry sauce.  It's healthy and delicious (90 calories for half a cup, which pretty much equals half the jar).  Dump it over 1- 1.5 lbs of browned chicken, simmer 15 minutes.  serve over brown rice.  It's a really creamy and tomatoey sauce with a little but of spice. SO GOOD. It's not for the non-curry lovers though...

I'll definitely be making them again soon... probably tomorrow actually.

For all of you on the edge of your seats about the outcome of my discrete test today... good not great.  I have a feeling if I make at least a C, I probably won't learn my lesson and will cram again for the next one.  eh.

Well if I want to get 6 hours of sleep, I've gotta start now.  Good night moon, good night readers, good night fellow bloggers, good night llamas...

No comments:

Post a Comment