5.05.2010

Brisket and poptarts make the world go 'round...

aghhhhh it's been so long! I haven't blogged in ages, and my fingers have been DYING to type!

I'm exaggerating, of course.  Sometimes I get in moods where I just don't feel like blogging.  Is that bad? I did miss you, blogspot.  Just not enough, I guess. No worries, friends, I still check it everyday to see everyone's updates.  I religiously stalk you, actually.  Don't be too creeped out.

Anywho...  I know you have all lost sleep about how my brisket turned out. Have no fear, your restless nights are over.  The brisket was fan-tas-tic.  Every syllable of that word should be highlighted.  The recipe is fool-proof and amazing.  My apartment smelled like brisket for a week. (which actually doesn't sound that appetizing?) mmmm.... I'm remembering it fondly.

onions doing what they do best... caramelizing.....



Reminds me of meals as a kid.  soooo good.

Seriously, folks.  PUH-lease make this brisket soon. Whoever you make it for, even if it's just for yourself, just make it. It's fabulous.  And I'm pretty sure it can draw any man in.  It's that good.  Tad swooned for about 2 hours after he ate it. For all you gentlemen reading this... I swear. you'll LOVE it. and you'll love anyone who makes it for you.

Now on to poptarts.... poptarts, you ask? Yes... poptarts.  I now know how to make them.  (and no, not just unwrapping them and putting them in the toaster).

Guess what?  The homemade ones are better.  No, they do not have the fake, sugary icing, but these have the flaky, buttery, sugary pie crusts that everyone loves to eat (unless you're tad).  They are filled with your own homemade love, whether that's jam, cinnamon sugar, or something savory. I have to admit something though... I love smitten kitchen (yes, we all know this, and no, this is not what I'm admitting) but this recipe was a a little bit more difficult than advertised (like 1.5 hours more difficult).  I had a lot of trouble with the dough.  Maybe I just cook in too warm of a kitchen.  Regardless, the end product was worth eating every morning for seven days straight (Did I just admit that?)

I made mine with raspberry jam... superb.


notice how imperfect my poptarts are? Apparently I can't make 3x5 rectangles.



Again, people, please try this recipe.  I live in a shoe box, so I'm sure the rest of you will have no problem with the 'sticky dough' and 'too warm kitchen' troubles that I ran into ( by this, I mean, when I turn on my oven, the apartment heats up like I turned the heat on in december) .  If you do happen to live in a space the size a mouse would be comfortable in, no worries... The recipe is still fun (trust me).  It just takes a little longer with the sticky dough!

Now, I would like to thank you all for the WONDERFUL birthday I had.  It definitely trumped last year's.  I'll just leave pictures of the great day...


The amazing sunset I woke up to (5:00 am) when I had to study for the biochem final... on my birthday.

Mexican food and margaritas for lunch? yes, please.


The OH- SO- AMAZING birthday cake I was surprised with... love you, family.

To top it off?? Vanilla cake with strawberry jam filling on top, chocolate cake with whipped cream filling on the bottom...A-mazing.

Beautiful lavendar flowers delivered.... doesn't get much better.

All in all, a great birthday.  seriously, great.  Now, because I'm writing this so behind, I just so happened to finish my last final of my undergrad today.  This is what freedom looks like...

(If you happen to notice, I got a pedicure on Monday:) great birthday present from the tadster)

Guess what's in store for tomorrow morning?

Thursday morning farmer's market...I know you're hoping I bring home some rhubarb....


3 comments:

  1. so glad your brisket turned out well. i am jealous you tried the poptarts. i go look at the recipe daily and have baker's envy. maybe when i move back in with mom and dad in august (kill me), i will try these. have fun this weekend. i'm sad i will be missing it! we must plan a fun weekend soon. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had a cake on my birthday for probably 7 years. why do mom and dad always send you one, but never me? and yes there is a bitter note in my voice.

    see you in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to try those pop tarts as soon as I saw them! And you may have talked me into the brisket!

    ReplyDelete