3.23.2010

The Birds

I had full intentions of waking up to a lovely spring morning, getting my usual coffee and cereal, hopping back into bed, writing a witty/ creative/ awesome blog, and then writing my thesis.

Didn't happen.

I woke up to the sound of scratching in my apartment.  I didn't think much of it as I have been hearing some birds burrow and make a nest in the crawl space above my bedroom.  Then I realized, this scratching sounded a little closer, a little more desperate.  I opened my bedroom to find the noise coming from my laundry room. I then made the unfortunate/ naive mistake of opening my laundry room door. Out flew a nasty, creepy- crawly, black bird with just nastiness written all over it.  I scream (naturally) and run back into my bedroom (naturally). In the couple of minutes it took for this situation to go down, I developed an irrational fear of birds.  So... picture it. There is a nasty nasty bird flying around in my apartment, getting it's nastiness all over everything, and I'm huddled in my bed making desperate phone calls to anyone I knew. The general response was a laugh and a "uhhhh... open a window".  That's all fine and dandy but what the hell? open a window? what... you think I can just WALK out there and get the nastiness all over me? what if it flew at me? got in my hair? scratched out my eye? yeah couldn't do it.

I called pest control... they laughed at me (which made me seriously lose faith in the population group that is supposed to save us from critters).  Called my parents... they laughed at me.

I was alone to face the nastiness.


So I geared up...



And went after the bird...

The bird is gone... but I'm still stuck in my bedroom.  If anyone knows how to now overcome the irrational fear of bird germs, let me know.  I do need to leave my bedroom eventually.
  

4 comments:

  1. You remind me of that scene in "The Great Outdoors" when John Candy and Dan Aykroyd get similarly dressed up to deal with the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never seen it. But I can now feel their pain.

    seriously I'm still in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe I am related to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh please. you would do the same exact thing. it was a BIRD.

    ReplyDelete