2.22.2011

Fried Round Steak



Let me just start off by saying that this is not a typical meal I like to cook.  It's fried. It's greasy. It's steak.  If you're a health nut, the next few pictures will not look appealing to you.  Just a little heads up.


So, this Valentine's Day, Tad wanted a meal instead of a gift.  He wanted his favorite meal, to be exact.  His favorite meal? Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

I have an awesome sauteed green bean recipe. check. I have an oh-so-delicious garlic mashed potatoes recipe. check.

Fried steak?  Not so much.  I've always been a little turned off by recipes that require frying.  Since I don't have a fryer, I picture grease fires and flying oil droplets all over my arms.  Both have occurred during past attempts at frying, so I was a little hesitant to start this endeavor. All for the love of Valentine's Day, right? right??

Now, who better to go to for a fried steak recipe than The Pioneer Woman? She even has a section on her blog dedicated specifically to Cowboy food. If I was going to conquer the frying endeavor, I knew it would be with The Pioneer Woman.

Did I conquer it? Not entirely. Tad loved them, but I think I cooked them a little too much.  Cube steak is round steak that's been tenderized (from my understanding... correct me if I'm wrong).  It had the same consistency and look as hamburger meat, so I overcooked the steaks a bit, thinking there couldn't be any pink in the middle.  I still am not sure how thoroughly round steak needs to be cooked, so all advice is welcome.  Steak is not my forte.  Frying is even less so.

In the end, it was a pretty fantastic Valentine's Day meal.  Not too cheesy, not too corny, not too sappy...just right.  Doesn't get much more romantic than fried steak!

You can find the recipe here!

Fried Round Steak

Ingredients:
3 lbs cube steak (round steak that's been tenderized)
1 cup flour
1 tsp seasoned salt
3 tsp ground black pepper, more for seasoning meat
Salt, for seasoning the meat
1/2 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp butter

Directions:
-Mix flour, seasoned salt, and black pepper together in a bowl for dipping. Set aside.
-Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat.
-Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of each steak, then dip steak in flour mixture. Make sure to coat every part of steak with flour.
-When you're ready to start frying, place butter in the oil.  Oil is hot enough when the butter sizzles.
-Once butter is melted, place steak in oil.  Cook until side is golden brown, then flip and cook for about another minute.
-Place steak on paper towel lined plate.  Serve and enjoy!

1 comment: