3.05.2011

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes


Let me start off by saying that I'm a little behind the times.  This post is about an attempt to bring dessert to an oh-so-fabulous surprise bash.  However, this oh-so-fabulous surprise bash happened two weeks ago. Like I said, a little behind the times.  I took a trip to Richmond, VA during these past two weeks and will be adding numerous posts about it in the future.  However, I thought I'd start back with this blog (sorry for the two week hiatus) with a lovely pink cupcake recipe.  Who doesn't love pink? More importantly, who doesn't love pink cupcakes? It's almost Spring time, so pink lemonade cupcakes are definitely in order.

Now, if you didn't catch the important word above, let me repeat myself.  This post is about an attempt to bring dessert to an oh-so-fabulous surprise bash.  Attempt.  

Aka, these didn't make the cut.  While some loved them, some didn't, and I'd much rather wow a crowd with a recipe than have a "so-so" review.  The problem with this recipe was the buttercream frosting.  The frosting recipe was completely wackadoo, so I found another pink lemonade buttercream recipe for a fluffier, more delicious topping. 

The cupcakes themselves were pretty great... they had a unique taste, and a lovely pink color.  If you adore pink lemonade like I do, definitely try this recipe. I will be making these again with the upgraded frosting... maybe then I'll have another oh-so-fabulous surprise bash to attend and Wilson won't have to eat so many pink lemonade cupcakes... Yes, Wilson found these cupcakes and ate them.  Another reason they were a party dessert attempt

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes (recipe adapted from here)

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites
1/3 cup thawed frozen pink lemonade concentrate
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 or more drops of red food coloring

Directions
-Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with liners.
-In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
-In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites, and lemonade.
-Add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternately, to the large bowl, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until the batter is smooth.
-Add the food coloring until the batter is a light shade of pink.
-Add the batter to the pan, filling the cups about 3/4 of the way full.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
-Cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely before frosting.

Buttercream Frosting (recipe adapted from here)
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
red food coloring

-Cream the butter and salt together with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
-Add the milk and half of the powdered sugar, beating until combined.
-Scrape down the bowl then add the remaining sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Beat until combined.
-Scrape down the bowl again then beat on high for 2 minutes, or until the frosting is fluffy.
-Add the red food coloring until the frosting is a light shade of pink. Continue beating on hight for 3 minutes.
-Spread or pipe frosting on the cooled cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. Is there any amazing flavour compound you CAN'T get in the states?! I got so excited about these (they sound delicious!) but we don't have things like lemonade concentrate in the UK - I am soo dissapointed I wont be able to recreate these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO intuitive of you! A great refreshing summertime treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Natalie! Our mutual friend Erica Poccia just told me about your blog and I just love it!! It's beautiful! I am also a blogger, and love cooking and baking. Feel free to check out my site and keep in touch. My blog is: http://mainlyglutenfreeinnyc.wordpress.com. I'd love to add you to my blog list so I can keep up with your posts if that's ok. Keep up the good work!!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete