2.17.2011

Black Bean Taquitos



Let me just start off by saying these turned out more like burritos than taquitos.  They were fairly large in size but weren't terribly heavy in taste (so they could definitely still pass as an appetizer). Because of the massive snow storm that hit KC a few weeks ago, I had to improvise and use what I had in my fridge.  Instead of using normal, taquito-size corn tortillas,  I had to use burrito-size whole wheat tortillas.  While just as delicious, I will be using corn tortillas next time. Ya know, to keep the tortilla: filling ratio in balance.  It was a little off kilter with my version.  And I'm all about equal ratios on this blog

This recipe was super easy to make.  The only issue I had was the dipping the tortilla in steamed water step. My tortillas were not having it.  I don't know if the same would happen with the corn tortillas but the whole wheat version does NOT like to be dipped in water and rolled up.  They hate it, actually, and will fiercely protest by falling apart before you even add the bean filling.  I went through my entire package of whole wheat tortillas just to make four taquitos.  So sad.  

The four tortillas that survived though turned out to be utterly delicious.  I definitely recommend trying this recipe.  Maybe stick with the original recipe though... corn tortillas are the way to go. 

Black Bean Taquitos (recipe adapted from here)
Ingredients:
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed if using from a can
6-8 corn tortillas (I used whole wheat tortillas)
1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese
Oil for brushing

*I omitted the jalapenos and cilantro from the original recipe (due to lack of ingredients) but feel free to add them!
(1 small jalapeno, de-seeded and finely diced, 1/4 cup cilantro)

Directions
-Pre-heat oven to 425˚ and bring a medium/large pot of water to a simmer.
-In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat.  
-Saute onion and pepper until onion becomes translucent.  
-Stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, and continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes.  
-Add in black beans and cilantro, cooking until beans are heated through- two to three minutes more.
-Turn off pot of water.  Taking one tortilla at a time, dip in hot water for 3-4 seconds.  
-Place on a cutting board and scoop one spoonful of black bean filling and a hefty pinch of cheese on top.  Roll tight and place seam side down on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.  
-Repeat for each tortilla until all the filling is used.  
-Brush each tortilla with oil.
-Bake for 12-15 minutes until the tortilla is a light brown color. 
-Dip in salsa, guacamole, or sour cream!

2 comments:

  1. I freakin' love taquitos and black beans, hell I love everything in this recipe. We need to meet up soon - I need an outing at Anthro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW!!! I'm seriously loving everything they are doing right now. There's one here in KC... is there one in Arkansas?? love love love them. Btw... are you on pinterest? I think you would LOVE it. pinterest.com... It's basically online inspiration boards. You "pin" things you find online or "repin" things other people have pinned. I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete